Tuesday, May 22, 2007

1st PT visit/update

Ok, a progress report. Had my first PT appointment yesterday. I’m not sure if I’m going to keep seeing them. I have no problems with the guy, it's more my stupid insurance company. I have a $25 co-pay for every visit and my doc wants me to go 2x a week. My problem, other than the 50 bucks a week, is that I can’t see paying some office to see a physical therapist when I have three friends who do it for a living and one of them even focuses on sports injuries. Not to mention I work with about 20 OT/PTs.

Well, enough of my gripe’n. The good and bad news. Of course they tell you your days of lifting and throwing are over, that is the standard line. My PT said I most definitely should stay out of the games this year. He thinks rehab will get me back to where I need to be but stopped just short of saying it was ok to compete ;-) On the bright side I am no longer showing the signs of pain that would indicate a herniated disc. If I was just a little dumber, I’d be throwing now. My muscles in the lower back and hamstrings are still as tight as guitar strings. So I am learning how to stretch now, this is new for me! I used to stretch quite a bit when bicycling, but not so much while throwing. I think that is what got me into this mess. I just want to get right to the lifting/throwing and can’t be bothered with any of that wussy stretching.... ugh.

I am halfway thinking about doing some Yoga classes. They offer them here at work. Couldn’t hurt and god knows I need the flexibility!

Have another PT appointment Friday. It my be my last. I can stretch and workout at home and it doesn’t cost me twenty five bucks!

3 comments:

Chris C said...

Ask your associates to hook you up man. $50/week can really add up. You never stretched b/t sets when you're working out? That's the best time to stretch...active recovery and remove a little lactic acid maybe.

Good luck man,

Eric Wright said...

lol, let me repeat... NEVER. I'm so not stretchy!

Seriously thinking about yoga dude.

Chris C said...

I've never done yoga, I just stretch each muscle I'm working b/t sets for 15 seconds. It's done wonders over the past 10 years.