Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday - Bowflex and still resting.

Still resting, I probably won't get in another workout until Tuesday. You need a rest every once in a while. Although I don't think I'd call the last few days a rest. My little girl is a bundle of energy.

Ok, a couple people have asked me about the Bowflex. My wife got me a Ultimate 2 Bowflex with all of the extras for Christmas. The reason for that instead of a squat rack and a set of weights is two fold. First, I belong to Gold's gym and it's right next to work. Second, the only place I have for equipment at home is on the second floor of a 110 year old house. I don't want to test how well the place is built. The wife also wanted something to work out on. A couple of the guys I throw with gave it a pretty good review and I do like it, but I don't think you could drop the gym for one. It's nice to have something to workout on whenever you feel like it, and you can get a good workout. It is a different kind of workout however.

Pluses:
  • Built like a tank (The Ultimate line is actually built like a piece of commercial gym equipment)
  • Fast to move between exercises
  • Smooth as silk
  • Very adjustable
Minuses:
  • The power bars are temp sensitive. As they warm up the resistance seems to go down.
  • The weight settings are a little optimistic. Some things seem a lot easier, bench, squats, etc.. some harder preacher curl, leg extensions, etc... I did a lowtech test. I hung a 50lb dumbell off of the lat tower and hooked up 50 pounds worth of rods. It didn't bottom them out but it did take them almost all the way flexed. So to me it would seem you don't see the full rated weight until almost lockout. This isn't altogether bad, just different.
  • It's no IRON!
I would recommend one to a friend, I think it's a good machine to have even if just to shake up your lifts. Being a cable based machine it really works all of your stabilizer muscles. If you focus on technique you can really get a lot out of it. It also nullifies the inertia effect you get with free weights. In some ways it will compliment your iron workouts. The progressive resistance is something you can't get with a straight cable stack. I'll give you an example:

  1. Standing dumbell curl - weight is only at full resistance at 90 degrees. It's lighter at both the top and bottom positions. Lightest at full contraction where you are at your strongest.
  2. Standing cable curl with weight stack - Constant resistance through whole range. You can only curl the amount you can get moving at your starting position.
  3. Standing cable curl with Bowflex - It's lightest at start and gets progressively heavier as your muscle contracts. You can start with weights you normally couldn't get moving and really blast your arms at full contraction.
So if you combine a dumbell workout with a bowflex workout, your arms really get a full workout. Now there are some advanced dumbell techniques like 21's or assisted curls, but the Bowflex fits in as a nice supplement.

I would not snub the Bowflex as a training tool, anything different will make you grow. Your muscles need to be shocked. This thing will shock them if you have never used one, and it will make you stronger. Food for thought, I have watched some guys get quite big with only body weight exercises. I have belonged to a gym most of my adult life and when I get in a routine I do gain size and strength. This most recent routine has added more size and strength than anything else I have ever done. The scale and the pics don't lie. The only thing I have really changed was adding in a few long intense Bowflex workouts a week. I would like to think my muscles were in the "wtf?" mode, and that's what did it. I don't know. That's why I started this blog, so everyone can watch and give me their opinion.

I'm 40 years old now and have parts failing. I have a bad joint in my foot, a bum knee, arthritis, etc... all that crap that comes with age. The fact that I can gain muscle this quickly at this age is a blessing in itself. So if I can blame that on the Bowflex, it was worth whatever the wife paid for it. Short of it is, it is no free weights but I don't regret having it.

Hope that rambling helps anybody thinking about getting one. One last note, look at the Ultimate model if you can. I saw one of the other models at a equipment retailer (The Extreme 2) and although it also looked very well made it was not the same beast. Like I said earlier, the Ultimate is built like a piece of commercial gym equipment. Very heavy duty. I use the preacher curl attachment and the bench for my dumbell workouts.

6 comments:

Chris C said...

I agree with you man, you can't work your body hard 12 months a year b/c if you are then you'd be over training. I like the bow for slim down phase and take a break from cold steel in 20 degrees phase. I bought mine from ebay. It's an older Power Pro, but with the squat attachment it's very thorough.

"If I can't throw worth a crap I may as well look hot as hell!" - Me (just now)
Good Luck

Eric Wright said...

Yeah baby, I'm all about the looks man! We can't have Joe stealing all the girls hearts! Sure Joe, out throw us.. we'll still be better looking!

Ok, enough of that. There is just so much damn sexy to spread around...

Hey, back to the York thing. I would totally be into checking out the museum. I have some of those Strength magazines from the 40's and 50' that Hoffman put out. One of them even has Reg Park on the cover! Then are a fun read. Oh the days when you could get 300lbs of iron from them and it would cost you a whole 20 bucks. Crazy.

Lemme know when it's field trip time.

-E

Chris C said...

Let me talk with the wife and I'll try to figure out what might work best. I'd love to see some of those old mags. Where'd you get em? That's one fun area they focus on in the museum is a few of the muscle men from the old days..(Park, Atlas, Sandow) I'll get back with ya soon.

Chris C said...

Ok,

What do yo think about this Sat? If that's no good Feb 3rd. works too. I was thinking late morning. The museum/store opens at 10am, so if we run through there we should be motivated for a killer clean/deadlift/bench party! Holla!

Eric Wright said...

Let me look into Feb 3rd. This Saturday is out, family stuff. I'll juggle my workouts and make my York day leg day, then we can get squaterific!

Let me look into the dates. I know we have a lot of plans in Feb but I won't know for sure until I check with the social director.

Eric Wright said...

Oh yeah, the magazines. I got them from this old fart body builder. He had them laying around with a bunch of junk he was moving and asked me if I wanted them. I'll bring a few with me. They are a fun read. You get to see that in 50 years nothing has changed really.